If you were seriously injured at work because of unsafe conditions or defective equipment, call us immediately at Rispoli & Borneo, P.C. to speak with a Newark work accident lawyer. Our lawyers have helped thousands of injured workers get the compensation they deserve.
Workers compensation is not always sufficient when it comes to covering damages from accidents caused by unsafe work conditions or third-party negligence. It’s very important to contact a work accident lawyer in Newark immediately after suffering such an injury. Call us for a free case review to find out how our attorneys can help you.
Common Causes of Workplace Injuries
Employers have a duty to keep their work environments reasonably safe for their employees. Unfortunately, accidents still happen in the workplace every day. Workplace injuries can range from minor bruising to traumatic brain injuries. Let’s take a look at the common causes of workplace accidents a Newark work accident lawyer might see:
- Falling Objects: Objects that are stacked high on shelves, such as file boxes must be secured properly. If they are not, they can fall down and hit employees. Falling objects can lead to many types of injuries, including bruises, head injuries and broken bones.
- Lifting: Some jobs require employees to lift heavy boxes and other items from time to time. Even when a job requires the employee to lift heavy items, that employee could still file for workers compensation if he or she is injured while doing so.
- Slips and Falls: A work accident lawyer in Newark NJ might also see clients who have been injured in slip and fall accident at work. Tripping on uneven surfaces, spills on the floor, and tripping on a misplaced object on the floor are all situations that might constitute a slip and fall workers compensation claim.
- Vehicle Crashes: Employees who are required to drive a vehicle at their job may be at risk of getting into an accident if they aren’t careful. It’s important for employees to go through the proper training before driving a vehicle at work.
- Fatigue: If employees are pushed beyond their limits to complete heavy workloads, they can become mentally and physically exhausted. This means slower reflexes and impaired judgment.
- Machine Entanglement: Working around heavy machinery can be dangerous, so it’s important for employees to be extra cautious. However, even employees take the proper precautions, they can still get entangled in the machine and suffer severe injuries.
Filing a Workers Compensation Claim
Usually, when an employee is injured on the job, their only option to recover their accident costs is to file for workers compensation. The worker is not required to prove the injury wasn’t their fault or caused by them. However, the worker can’t be compensated for pain and suffering– only for damages such as a portion of their lost wages and related medical costs.
As an employee you deserve to work under reasonable and safe conditions. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration enforces safety regulations in the workplace. Unsafe work conditions are taken seriously. If a worker is injured on an unsafe job site you have legal recourse.
Following a work injury, a Newark work accident lawyer may review your case and explain your rights. Every work injury case is different so after reviewing the details of your particular situation they may inform you of your legal options. At Rispoli & Borneo, P.C., we offer a no-obligation free case review so that you can make an informed decision about what you want to do.
Filing a Work Injury Lawsuit
When an employee accepts workers compensation for a work injury, they give up their right to file a lawsuit relating to their injury. There are exceptions to this rule, including:
- The employee can file suit against their employer if the employer was grossly negligent or showed a wanton disregard for safety,resulting in the employee’s injury. Proving that an employer intentionally injured an employee is a very difficult. Your Newark work accident lawyer may evaluate your chances of winning this kind of lawsuit.
- The employee can file suit against a third-party if the third-party was directly responsible in full or in part for causing the injury.
Claims Against Third Parties
When injuries happen because of defective equipment or machinery, the worker may be eligible to file a third-party lawsuit against the maker or manufacturer. A Newark work accident lawyer may review your case and suggest your best options.
Third-party lawsuits are often complicated and can take months to resolve, or even years. An experienced work accident lawyer Newark employees turn to in similar circumstances may provide you with an estimate of how long the trial might last. He or she may also try to negotiate a settlement to avoid going to trial if possible. At Rispoli & Borneo, P.C., our attorneys have had great success negotiating settlements for the maximum amount. This is usually preferable to the client as they can receive compensation faster, and their legal costs can be less than if they go to trial.
Questions to Ask a Work Accident Lawyer
During your first consultation with a Newark work accident lawyer, he or she isn’t the only one who is allowed to ask questions — you are more than welcome to ask any questions that you have. To get a sense of a lawyer’s experience and skills, consider asking the following questions:
- How many work accident cases have you handled in the past? If a Newark work accident lawyer has handled many cases similar to yours in the past, he or she may have the experience to get you favorable results with your case.
- What is your contingency fee? Many work accident lawyer work on a contingency fees, meaning they get a percentage of your winnings. In this situation, if you don’t win your case, you won’t owe your lawyer any money.
- What is my case worth? After your provide a Newark work accident lawyer details about your case, he or she may have a good idea of how much money you should expect to recover.
- Do you have the necessary time to work on my case? Find out how many other cases a Newark work accident lawyer is working on right now and if he or she has enough time to devote to your case.
The Role of an Attorney
When an employee is seriously injured at work because of unsafe conditions or due to third-party negligence, they deserve compensation for their damages. Workers compensation may not be sufficient, particularly if the employee experienced extreme pain and suffering. Protect your rights — call us today at Rispoli & Borneo, P.C. to speak with an experienced Newark work accident lawyer.