Car Accident Lawyer Newark
New Jersey car accidents occur quickly and, in many crashes, the drivers do not have a chance to swerve out of the way before the collision. After the dust settles, a driver may only then start to feel the extent of his or her injuries. Depending on the accident, a person may walk away with minor injuries while others received emergency care right away. For more severe accidents, the innocent driver may have to deal with costly medical bills, physical therapy, medical treatments, and more. Despite being called auto “accidents,” many of these collisions happen because someone was being careless on the road.
If you or someone you care about has sustained injuries after a car accident, please know that you may have grounds for a lawsuit against the other driver. A car accident lawyer in Newark
at Rispoli & Borneo can offer advice on how to get back onto your feet. You do not have to accept what has happened. You can pursue legal action as a way to financially recover from the incident as well as obtain a sense of justice.
In civil lawsuits, the plaintiff must be able to show proof of how the defendant caused the accident to occur. To prove that the other driver had been negligent, the plaintiff has to demonstrate that the defendant had a responsibility to use reasonable caution while driving, had failed to uphold this duty which caused the accident, and then the plaintiff suffered loss because of it.
Negotiating a Settlement
With help from a Newark car accident lawyer at Rispoli & Borneo, it is possible that you can negotiate a fair settlement. But, if we are unable to reach a settlement offer that is sufficient, we can then help prepare you court. The more evidence you can bring forward that shows the severity of your injuries and the financial burden you accumulated, the more likely you are to receive a reasonable settlement offer.
Third Party Liability
In some cases, a third party may be held responsible for the auto accident. For example, if an employee for a trucking company was in an accident with you, the employer may have some liability. This is even more true for situations where the driver didn’t do anything wrong, and a mechanical failure led to the accident. If the person responsible for truck maintenance at the company didn’t adequately check breaks, the engine and other parts, a terrible accident may ensue. A Newark car accident lawyer will be able to determine who the liable party is in a crash, including third parties.
It can be difficult to deal with the legalities of a car accident lawsuit without assistance from a car accident lawyer Newark clients recommend from Rispoli & Borneo. Unless you have experience in the legal field, it can be challenging to know where to begin and how to protect yourself along the way. Innocent drivers who became part of an auto accident often suffer the very worst of the injuries, vehicle damages, and other losses. We have help you seek the compensation you require in order to get to where you were before the accident occurred. We urgently encourage you to reach out to sooner, rather than later.
If a distracted or otherwise negligent driver caused you to suffer an injury due to an accident, call the law firm of Rispoli & Borneo to speak with a top car accident lawyer Newark offers. Negligent drivers should be held accountable for the damages they cause victims, and our attorneys may help protect your rights.
A car accident lawyer in Newark can review your case, and may determine how much compensation you may be entitled to receive. If you believe your accident was caused by a distracted driver, the following information may be helpful to you.
The Danger of Distracted Drivers
A study by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute concluded that the simple act of reaching for one’s cell phone, followed by dialing a phone number or texting, increases the likelihood of getting into an accident by three times. Any distraction lasting as short as 4.6 seconds, if driving at a rate of 55 mph, means that the driver has travelled the length of an entire football field while not paying sufficient attention to their driving.
What is considered distracted driving?
Anything can be a distraction to a driver, if they allow it. When distracted, drivers are more likely to operate their vehicle in an unsafe manner. Distracted drivers cause thousands of accidents in the United States every year that result in injuries, as well as deaths.
Distracted drivers can be held liable for damages that they have caused. A car accident lawyer Newark drivers trust, such as the attorneys at Rispoli & Borneo, may negotiate a settlement or pursue a lawsuit on your behalf.
Common Distractions for Drivers
One of the most common distractions for today’s drivers, especially teenagers, is using a cell phone while driving. However, there are many other distractions that can cause accidents, as an experienced car accident lawyer Newark respects would likely tell you. They include:
- Consuming food and/or beverages.
- Conducting conversations with passengers.
- Focusing on a music player, whether it’s a wi-fi device, car stereo, or MP3 player.
- Brushing hair, applying makeup.
- Reading maps on GPS devices or printed map books.
- Watching DVDs.
- Operating the vehicle’s navigation system.
Distracted Driving and the Law
Laws vary by jurisdiction when it comes to which distractions are illegal for drivers, such as cell phone use. However, if a car accident lawyer Newark provides can prove that a distracted driver negligently caused your injury, it may not matter if that particular distraction is illegal. Common distractions that are often illegal when driving include:
- Emailing, texting, or browsing the Internet.
- Talking on a cell phone.
- Using a handheld or hands-free cell phone while in a school zone or highway construction work zone.
- Using a cell phone while 18 years of age or younger.
The Mental Impact of Car Accidents
When many people think about car accidents, they focus on the physical injuries that result from them. While these accidents can cause a variety of different physical ailments, they can also affect a person’s mental health. A vehicle accident is a very traumatic event and can cause a person to feel a wide range of emotions. People who were in car accidents may deal with the mental effects of it for a long time. If you are struggling with mental health issues after a car accident, a Newark car accident may be able to pursue for damages on your behalf.
What Types of Mental Health Issues Can a Car Accident Cause?
A car accident can lead to a number of different mental health problems, such as:
- Depression: While many people may feel sad from time to time, depression is a whole other animal. People who are depressed feel hopeless, irritable and guilty all the time. Some may even contemplate suicide. Some victims of car accidents may develop depression and don’t feel the same anymore.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A car accident is such a traumatic event that some people may develop post-traumatic stress disorder because of it. Symptoms of this condition include panic attacks, flashbacks, and avoidance of things and placed associated with the traumatic event.
- Anxiety: Some people who get injured in car accidents become increasingly anxious. They may have emotional outbursts frequently and have trouble focusing on their work and other important tasks. These individuals may also have trouble sleeping.
What Are Some Ways to Heal After a Car Accident?
While your emotional health may suffer after a car accident, it does not have to be permanent. If you take the necessary steps to heal yourself, you can regain your emotional health. Here are some tips to consider:
- Take Good Care of Yourself: If you have been in a car accident, it is now even more important to look after yourself. Eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly and get plenty of sleep. The better you take care of yourself, the better you will feel emotionally. Avoid drinking too many alcoholic beverages, as they can make the issue worse.
- Talk to Your Loved Ones: One of the worst things you can do is keep your emotions bottled up. Don’t be afraid to talk to close family members and friends about how you’re feeling. They can give you a shoulder to lean on and provide you with the support you need.
- Seek Therapy: If you are struggling with depression or engaging in self-destructive behavior, you should talk to a licensed therapist. He or she can help you talk through your feelings and teach you healthy ways to cope. It may feel a little uneasy talking to a stranger about your troubles, but it gets easier. Remember that a therapist is there to help you, not judge you.
If you have been hurt in a car accident and suffering emotionally because of it, make an appointment to speak with a Newark car accident lawyer from Rispoli & Borneo.
A Newark Car Accident Lawyer You Can Trust
The attorneys of Rispoli & Borneo have helped many victims of car accidents recover their damages. If you were injured by a negligent driver, call our office immediately to make an appointment with a car accident lawyer Newark injury victims can trust.