After a collision, you may consider hiring an auto accident lawyer Elizabeth NJ provides. At Rispoli & Borneo P.C., our attorneys understand that you may have questions about your legal rights. Our legal team is committed to assisting clients in understanding those rights. We’ve helped thousands of injured drivers, passengers, and pedestrians obtain compensation for their medical costs and other damages.
When it comes to protecting your rights, a qualified Elizabeth NJ auto accident lawyer may be your best bet. The lawyers of Rispoli & Borneo P.C. offer a free case review, so you have nothing to lose by calling us for an appointment. During that review, they can answer questions specific to your case. Here is some general information that may also be helpful to you.
What Happens After an Auto Accident
Every accident is different, but most have a number of things in common. After reviewing the case, an auto accident lawyer Elizabeth NJ victims choose to represent them can explain step-by-step what will happen next. Usually, one of the first things that happens is that the at-fault driver’s insurance company will investigate the accident.
The Initial Investigation
Because the negligent driver’s insurance company wants to minimize or prevent having to pay out for your damages, they will investigate the accident. If they can somehow prove their customer was not at fault, they may save a substantial amount of money.
Your auto accident lawyer in NJ
will also want to investigate the accident, but his or her motive is to protect your rights. Ideally, your lawyer will want to prove as much of the following as possible about why the other driver is at-fault:
- Was distracted while driving
- Did not pay attention to other vehicles, the roadway, etc.
- Drove while under the influence of alcohol or drugs of any kind
- Violated a traffic law which led to the accident
- Has a history of traffic violations
- Drove without a valid driver’s license
Collection of Evidence
During the course of their investigation, the auto accident lawyer Elizabeth NJ drivers call first will collect as much of the following evidence as possible:
- Police report of the accident.
- Photographs of the accident taken by the police, yourself, or taken later by your lawyer’s investigator.
- Witness statements.
- Video footage of the accident taken by dash cams, witnesses, or video surveillance cameras.
- Department of Motor Vehicle records of all drivers.
- Medical reports from physicians who examined and treated you for your injuries from the accident.
- A recreation of the accident to confirm what happened.
Recovery of Your Damages
An experienced auto accident lawyer Elizabeth NJ offers will work hard to present a clear and concise accounting of how and why you are not at fault. Following that, your lawyer may determine for what damages you should be compensated by the negligent driver. This might include:
- Any medical expenses related to your accident injuries, including anticipated future costs
- Lost wages from the time of the accident into the future
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
After an accident, you may be advised not to discuss what happened with the insurance company or anyone else. The only exceptions are physicians who treat your resulting injuries and your attorney. The reason for this is that anything you say can be held against you, even by your own insurance company. Your attorney can speak on your behalf and protect your rights in the process. For an auto accident lawyer Elizabeth NJ victims trust, call or contact us today at Rispoli & Borneo P.C.