Preparing for your First Meeting with a Workers Compensation Lawyer
If you’ve never consulted a Newark workers compensation lawyer before, it may be difficult to know what to expect. The legal team of Rispoli & Borneo, P.C. offers a free initial consultation during which you can discuss your workers compensation case. If you arrive to your meeting prepared with detailed notes and documentation, you will likely maximize the value of your time and of your Newark workers compensation lawyer.
Your free consultation with a Newark workers compensation lawyer may be held on the phone or in person at the legal firm. The meeting may be brief, so it’s important to be organized and efficient. Here are some tips for how to prepare for that meeting:
Document Your Case as it Stands Currently
Prepare to write more than one draft before finalizing your notes. Stick to facts and include dates when possible. Review events in the order that they happened and try to avoid going back and forth in time when discussing them with a workers compensation lawyer in Newark. Include the following information if relevant:
- The date you were hired
- The date you were injured
- Briefly explain how the injury happened
- The date you notified your company when the accident happened
- The name of the person to whom you gave notification
- The date you first received medical treatment for your injury
- The name of the medical facility where you received treatment
- Briefly explain any medical treatments you have received since then
Supporting Documentation to Bring to the Meeting:
- Contact information for your medical providers
- Any relevant medical records or reports regarding your injury
- Contact information for any witnesses of the accident
- A brief summary of any previous injuries similar to or in the same area of your body as your current injury
- Documentation or written communication from your employer and their insurance company in regard to your injury claim
- Contact information for your employer
- Contact information for your employer’s insurance company
Questions to Ask a Workers Compensation Lawyer Newark Offers
When you meet with the Newark workers compensation lawyer, you should have a list of questions to ask after reviewing your case. Write your question down and leave space after each one to note the attorney’s answers. This will allow you to review the information at any time. The following questions are only suggestions as you may have additional questions to ask.
- Do you specialize in representing injured workers in workers compensation cases?
- What is your success rate in this area?
- Do you believe I have a reasonable chance to recover my damages?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of my case?
- Will you oversee my case and perform the more complex tasks yourself? Will you personally be handling the bulk of my case?
- How often will you inform me of progress on my case?
- What do you charge for workers compensation cases? Is there a maximum amount that you will charge me? If so, how much will that be?
- If a settlement can’t be reached and my case proceeds to a lawsuit, for what costs will you charge me?
- Will you advance those costs to me and agree to payment from the settlement amount or lawsuit award?
- Will you waive those costs if you don’t win my case?
- Can you provide me references from previous clients?
The legal team of Rispoli & Borneo, P.C. are professional workers’ compensation attorneys. We have successfully negotiated settlements for hundreds of clients in the Newark area. If you have been injured on the job and are in need of a Newark workers compensation lawyer, contact Rispoli & Borneo, P.C. today.