Drunk Driving Attorney – Long Branch, NJ
In the aftermath of being charged with a DUI, you might feel nervous about what you can expect from the legal process that will necessarily follow. Concerns about your license, your job, and your future might overwhelm your mind. Police may be telling you that you have the right to retain a lawyer, and you might be wondering whether or not you should take advantage of this right. At this time, the most proactive decision you can make is to call a Long Branch, New Jersey drunk driving attorney to explain your case and learn about your options. This decision could have a significant impact on what will happen with your legal situation, and how your future will unfold.
Should You Hire a Private DUI Lawyer?
Please understand that a DUI is a serious charge. It can affect both your short-term and your long-term future. One of the many reasons it is so important to speak with an experienced Long Branch, NJ drunk driving attorney as soon as you possibly can is that the potential consequences associated with a DUI conviction are numerous and potentially severe. Having the team at Rispoli Law, PLLC on your side can help you mitigate your risk of having to navigate consequences like these:
- Suspension, loss, or revocation of your driver’s license
- Large court fines and fees
- Mandatory community service or probation
- Mandatory alcohol education
- Mandatory alcohol treatment
- Jail time
- 35-50+% increase in your insurance premium
- Loss of a professional license (i.e. pilots license)
- Difficulty securing a job, an education and/or housing in the future
- Limited travelling to certain place
- A permanent criminal record
- Impacted child custody (in the event of you have partial or full custody of a child)
Although you might not necessarily face some of the above consequences, if you are found guilty, you will almost certainly be compelled to navigate some of them. An experienced Long Branch, NJ drunk driving attorney understands how devastating circumstances like these can be and can help you to build a defense may mitigate these potential consequences. In some cases, the charge itself can be reduced or dropped.
A Private DUI Lawyer Vs. a Public Defender
In general, when you’re unable to afford a private DUI lawyer, you can retain a public defender. What most people don’t understand is that you have to qualify for this support. If you make too much money, according to the judge and state law, you will not be eligible for a public defender. Even the best public defenders tend to be significantly overburdened by cases and lacking in any significant time to devote to any of them individually. Regardless of their experience, your case will likely not be given the time and attention it should be given in order to receive the best possible outcome. In general, if you can afford the relatively inexpensive services of a private lawyer, it is important to consider calling a Long Branch, NJ drunk driving attorney today. You want to give your case the best possible chance at success. An experienced Long Branch, NJ drunk driving attorney can help you to aggressively pursue that aim.
Drunk Driving Attorney Long Branch NJ
If you have been charged with drunk driving in Long Branch, NJ, you need experienced and aggressive drunk driving attorney. The attorneys at Rispoli & Borneo, PC have the legal expertise, court room experience and aggressive style to defend you during every step of the process.
Drunk driving and refusal matters always include an analysis of the “Stop”, the “Field Sobriety Tests”, and the “Breath Test.”
- The “Stop”: A police officer must have a valid reason to stop a vehicle. An improper or unconstitutional stop can be challenged and may result in the dismissal of all tickets.
- The “Field Sobriety Tests”: The field sobriety tests administered by police officers in New Jersey are designed to determine if a driver is impaired. The results of these tests are used to justify a “breath test” or prove a driver is driving while under the influence of alcohol. Often these tests are critical to the State’s case. These tests can and should be challenged, as they are unreliable if the officer does not administer them properly.
- The “Breath Test”: Police Departments throughout New Jersey use the Alcotest to determine if a driver is intoxicated. Maintenance of the Alcotest, certification of the officer administering the test, and the pre-test observations of the driver are critical to the accuracy of the Alcotest results.
Drunk driving matters that involve driving in a “school zone” or an accident with injuries involve more serious penalties in Long Branch, NJ. The attorneys at Rispoli & Borneo, PC are well versed in these enhanced penalties. Understanding all of the potential penalties is critical to making a well informed decision on whether to proceed to trial or negotiate a plea.
Not every drunk driving or refusal case should proceed to trial. These trials are expensive and time consuming. The attorneys at Rispoli & Borneo, PC appreciate the expense of hiring an attorney. To manage this expense, we meet with clients to discuss the cost of proceeding to trial versus the cost of negotiating a plea. Often we will advise clients to negotiate the best plea possible and use the available funds to pay fines and penalties rather than unnecessary or unwarranted legal fees.