At Rispoli & Borneo, our Newark bicycle accident injury attorney has protected the rights of victims since 1994. Bicycling is a popular activity all across New Jersey, and many use their bikes to commute to work. As wonderful as it may be to ride bicycles, there is an unfortunate downside. Every year, serious accidents occur involving bicyclists and sometimes it results in fatalities. And it’s not always bicyclists who are injured in these accidents. Pedestrians and fellow bicyclists can also sustain serious injuries. When an accident occurs in Newark, if it was caused by another party then the victim has the legal right to hire a bicycle accident injury attorney. Our attorney has a stellar record obtaining large settlements for victims from those responsible for harming them. Call us today to learn more during a free consultation.
Types of Injuries Commonly Resulting from Bicycle Accidents
Nearly any type of injury has the possibility of becoming serious, especially if left untreated. In some cases, serious injuries are not readily apparent, and this can be dangerous. Closed head brain injuries are one such example. A brain injury may not immediately present symptoms but within a short time can be fatal. If you were injured in a bicycle accident, even before contacting our bicycle accident injury attorney in Newark, seek medical attention from your physician without delay. If necessary, go to the emergency room if you cannot get an immediate exam with your regular doctor. Your diagnosis may include any of the following types of injuries:
- Abrasions or cuts
- Back injuries
- Broken bones
- Concussions and other types of traumatic brain injuries
- Decapitated limbs
- Dislocated joints
- Nerve damage
- Severe road rash
- Spinal cord injuries
Identifying Liable Parties for Your Injuries
When an accident victim works with our bicycle accident injury attorney in Newark, the determination of the liable party will be paramount. Although it may initially appear to be quite obvious who caused your accident, it may be the case that it is actually the fault of another party or it may be more than one party. This is why it’s so important to hire an experienced legal professional who understands how to identify who should compensate you as the victim. Depending on how the accident occurred, any of the following might be held responsible by our Newark Personal Injury Lawyer:
- The bicycle manufacturer. If a defective part such as a malfunctioning brake or steering system, or a tire experiences a catastrophic failure, the rider may be thrown from the bike resulting in a serious or fatal injury.
- Another bicyclist. Bike paths can be narrow and the shoulders soft. If a passing bicyclist is careless, they can collide with another rider and bump them off the pavement causing them to lose control and crash to the ground.
- A motorist. A careless or negligent driver who does not notice a bicyclist may collide with them at a speed that is catastrophic for the rider.
- Someone exiting their vehicle. When someone exits their vehicle parked on the side of the road, if they do not pay sufficient attention, they may open their door in advance of the rider, causing the rider to collide with the door. This often causes the bicyclist to cartwheel over the top of their bike and crash to the pavement, resulting in a serious or life-threatening injury.
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, contact our experienced Newark bicycle accident injury attorney at Rispoli & Borneo to learn how we may be able to get you the compensation you deserve.