Criminal Lawyers Newark
What Should I do First?
Once you’re released from police custody the very first thing you should is write down everything that happened, as criminal lawyers in Newark would recommend Capture all details of the evening and the arrest, no matter how insignificant you may believe they are.
These small details could be the ones that could make or break your case. As the hours and days pass, your memory will fade making it harder to record events as they happened.
Here are some things to write down:
- What were doing before you drove and where were you.
- Take note of what you ate and drank.
- How much did you drink.
- How much time passed between your last drink and your arrest.
- The time and location where you were stopped.
- What reason did the officer provide for stopping you.
- What did you tell the officer about where you had been, what you had to drink and eat and who you were with.
- If and when were you read the Miranda Warning.
- Everything the officer said to you, as much as you can remember.
- Did you take any kind of test, whether field sobriety or chemical (breath or blood). If so, how long had it been since your last drink at the time of the test.
Even if a detail does not strike you as relevant, you should still write it down. Skilled criminal lawyers in Newark will be able to separate out the most important factors in your story.
Can I Share my Story on Social Media?
Social media has become an everyday part of life for many of us. It may be tempting to share the story of your arrest with friends and family. You may be seeking words of encouragement, sympathy or looking for an outlet to sound off against what you believe was unfair treatment.
Say no to this urge to share details on social media. In fact, consider switching your profile to ‘private’ if it’s currently listed as ‘public’.
You’ve heard the saying before, ‘what you say can and will be used against you in a court of law’. This holds true for social media posts as well. Prosecutors will use your social media posts against you. When presented out of context, it can damage your reputation with a jury.
Do I need Newark criminal lawyers?
You absolutely need trusted Newark criminal lawyers to represent you. Rispoli & Borneo, P.C., is skilled at working with DUI defendants just like you. We have helped so many in the Newark, NJ area. Our strong relationships with local law enforcement and court officials means we are best suited to manage your case and secure a fair outcome.
DUI cases are complex and carry life-changing results. Depending on the severity of your charges, you could be facing:
- Steep monetary fines
- Prison time
- A felony record
- Loss of your driving license for a set period of time, or possibly forever
- Damage to your reputation and impact on your job
Your Rispoli & Borneo, P.C. criminal lawyers from Newark will be there for you every step of the way. Call us today for a free consultation.